Supporting progressive advancements at our hospital and beyond.
From its inception five years ago, our medical competition has supported exceptional teams of medical professionals in presenting progressive healthcare ideas to leading Canadian business philanthropists.
Thanks to the outstanding generosity of donors, our medical competition has supported vital advances at Horizon’s Saint John Regional Hospital, many the first in Atlantic Canada.
- Canada’s first ever fluoroscopic navigation bronchoscopy helping reduce risks and improving care for lung cancer patients
- Purchased the gold standard in drug testing improving speed and accuracy of drug detection enabling clinicians to incorporate results more quickly into effective clinical decision-making
- First 3-D Imaging Center in Atlantic Canada and first hospital in Canada to adopt AI solutions allowing clinicians to create a virtual copy of their patient's anatomy to plan and practice surgery
- First-in-Canada Nobel Prize winning super resolution microscope, kick-starting a first-of-its-kind multimillion-dollar research program
- First-of-its-kind Minimally Invasive Sinus Surgery program
- An extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) device, also known as cardiac bypass in a box, launching a study to show improved survival rates for cardiac arrest patients in the Emergency Department.
Medical Competition by the Numbers
Million raised for
Explore the 2021 Lions’ Den Medical Competition
Watch as three teams of medical professionals advocate for advancements in healthcare, to see their commitment to their patients, to hear about their progressive vision at they pitch 5 philanthropists and judges for $500,000 in funding.
I’d like to express my sincere thanks and gratitude to the foundation and all the donors whose generous support has really allowed us to make this happen. You took a dream and made it reality and we can’t thank you enough.- Dr. Crispin Russell, Horizon thoracic surgeon, and the first in Canada to preform an innovate bronchoscopy procedure at thanks to Lions' Den funding
Into the LIONS’ DEN
The medical competition with a $500,000 prize focused on innovation in health care.
First In Canada with Illumisite
Saint John Regional Hospital’s Illumisite team completes the first ever fluoroscopic navigation bronchoscopy procedure in Canada.
Foundation Announces Unprecedented Medical Competition Film Premiere
Moving Lions’ Den from the big stage to the film set.